2010 Film & Broadcast Alumnus
- Program: Film & Broadcast
- Employer: JJack Productions
- Position: Director/Founder
- Website: jjackpro.com
My favorite part about my job and this industry is working on such unique projects. One week we’ll be filming interviews with disabled kids, and the next week we’ll be filming aerial drone shots for a rap video flying over a yacht on lake Michigan. You meet amazing people, with amazing talent, creating major influence on the world. I also sincerely love the flexibility/challenge of running my own company. It’s insanely challenging and tiring, but worth it in the end.
My advice to you in regards to job hunting is in the following list:
- “We have a strategic plan. It’s called doing things” – Herb Kelleher, co-founder, Chairman Emeritus, and former CEO of Southwest Airlines. Stay busy making things! The momentum is contagious.
- Network. Buy business cards. Collect business cards. Look up the person online. Tell them what you enjoy about their work. Then follow up every 4-6 months by creating an excel spreadsheet of all your contacts. I promise it’ll pay off.
- Watch the crowd. Go the opposite direction. Don’t think there are “normal” ways of doing things. Most rules are made up.
- All opportunities are disguised as problems. That’s what a job is, it’s solving problems and getting paid to do so.
- There is no failure. Only Feedback. Failing just means you pushed yourself further than you were able to go. That’s exactly what you should be doing.
- Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Do things you are scared to do. It’s freeing.
- A disorganized genius is no match for the average person with a daily routine. Make a schedule for yourself and stay busy 8+ hours a day working on projects in your industry. Especially when you’re looking for a job because it’ll help you get a job.